On a civil episode of All Sorted Jeff and James:
See how it all started:
- The System i Leg (or, System of Play, in English) was unveiled at the Nuremberg Toy Fair in February 1955.
Ride the rails with the first LEGO trains:
Travel to LEGOLAND:
Settle in LEGO Town:
- LEGO Town Theme (1978-2004)
- 624 Sets
- First modern Minifigure in set 600: Police Car
- Sticker to decorate the torso
- Police Officer could not fit in car
- LEGO begins to produce “Juniorised” sets, simplifying the builds
- Set 6566: Bank
Move on up to the big city:
- LEGO City (2005-Ongoing)
- Evolution of a model, Town Plan to modern City:
- 1957, Town Plan, 1308: Fire Station
- 1970, LEGOLAND, 347: Fire Station
- 1978, Town, 374: Fire Station
- 1981, Town, 6382: Fire Station
- 2005, City, 7240: Fire Station
- 2010, City, 7208: Fire Station
- 2016, City, 60110: Fire Station
- You can see that by 2016 the set is a self contained story (Hot dog vendor’s cart goes up in flames, Firefighters mobilize to put out the “inferno”). This story will be evident on the box, as well as on the LEGO City website.
Finally we ask, has LEGO moved LEGO City in the right direction? Where would you like the theme to go? Let us know in the comments, or hit me up on Twitter, I’m @StillSorting.
(Listen above, grab the RSS feed or subscribe in iTunes)
Like what we're doing here? Let someone else know!